Many smartphone owners Apple are intimidated by the VPN setting to iPhone: this procedure evokes associations with something complicated and difficult for an ordinary user. But using popular applications, you can set up VPN in a few clicks, including for iPad and iPod Touch.
What is VPN and why is it needed
VPN, or virtual private network, is a reliable way to protect the data that you transfer over the Internet. Technically, VPN is a separate encrypted channel within a shared global network. When you connect to the Internet via a virtual network, you use the same sites and applications, but as if on top of the connection provided by your ISP. This means that a working Internet is required for a VPN to function.
After connecting the virtual network on your device, all the data that you transfer will first pass through a secure channel to the VPN server, and from there go to the open Internet. Thus, neither the provider nor the attackers will be able to see which pages you visit, and your data, such as passwords, will be reliably protected from theft.
interesting 6.1-inch iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro will go on sale first Subscription pack launch Apple One confirmed
There is another indisputable advantage of using a virtual private network, which has become especially important in recent months, when services Google and many other sites were accidentally blocked by government agencies in pursuit of lawbreakers. Using VPN, you will be able to use your usual resources without interruption.
How to set up VPN for iPhone or iPad manually
For a better understanding of the VPN activation process, it is worth considering the manual configuration method. As a VPN service, the example below uses a free VPN Gate project, L2TP / IPsec technologies and software embedded in iOS.
- Go to the 'Settings' app.
- You need to select the 'VPN' option (or 'Basic' => 'VPN').
- Click the Add VPN Configuration button.
- Specify 'Type' – L2TP.
- In the 'Description' field, write an arbitrary name for the connection.
- After filling in all the fields, you will need to enter the address of the VPN server through which you want to access the Internet. To get it, open vpngate.net/en/ and notice the large Public VPN Relay Servers table and the L2TP / IPsec column. It is possible to use only those servers that have a green checkmark in this column.
- After making your choice, copy the lines ending with … onengw.net or a numeric IP of your choice (the first option is recommended) into the 'Server' field.
- In the fields 'Account', 'Password' and 'Shared key' write the word vpn.
- After filling in all the fields, click the 'Finish' button.
- To start using the virtual network, in the VPN settings menu, switch the 'Status' to the 'On' position. If everything is in order, you will see the corresponding indicator on the top bar.
VPN setup using apps
The same can be done even easier using the free Betternet app. This is the easiest way to set up VPN on devices Apple. After installing and launching it, you will find only two buttons: Connect and Disconnect.
With the only tap on the screen, you can start a connection via VPN or disconnect it and start using the Internet directly. Many people wonder why it is free. If in the case of manual configuration we are talking about an academic project, then Betternet can be helped by installing from App Store free applications from partners.
The notion that only hackers and attackers need encryption is fundamentally wrong. Confidentiality of data transmitted via the Internet has long become a norm and necessity, because information is expensive and privacy is inviolable.